Random stuff

Lore Lair :: Fan section :: RPG :: Bar

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 22/6/2016, 15:14

Shower thoughts:

"Ever though if on any point of your life you faced a murderer that was planning to kill you, but he then decided not to do it?"

"Lethal dose is also enough or the rest of your life"

"Brushing your teeth is the only time you ever clean your skeleton"

"For some reason I always assume all the skulls were male"

"Bed is a shelf where you put your body when you don't use it."

If you were dreaming and in that dream you were hit by a train, and the hit woke you, can you say the hit made you loose your unconsciousness?"

"Every paper towel ad reminds me that the cleanest solution is not to have kids."

"If you make a new hole in the net, then you actully lessened the number of holes in the net"
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 22/6/2016, 21:07

Oh!  General thoughts.  I thought you'd succumb to Fridge Logic after watching Rick and Morty.  Mostly for humor, I'll give you further thoughts or just random jokes on your statements.

Ristiald wrote:Shower thoughts:

"Ever though if on any point of your life you faced a murderer that was planning to kill you, but he then decided not to do it?"
I don't just think it, I've talked my way out of it on at least one occasion.

Ristiald wrote:"Lethal dose is also enough or the rest of your life"
An alternate take on an age-old (yet still funny) joke.

Ristiald wrote:"Brushing your teeth is the only time you ever clean your skeleton"
Unless you count sun-bleaching... but who does?

Ristiald wrote:"For some reason I always assume all the skulls were male"
That probably has more to do with default assumptions based on one's own world-view (i.e. what sex/ ethnicity/ social strata/ ect...).  These things tend to subconsciously color our view of things more than most people believe (myself included).  I wouldn't be surprised if most guys thought this.

Ristiald wrote:"Bed is a shelf where you put your body when you don't use it."
If this is true, then what does that make a shelf your cat sleeps on?

Ristiald wrote:If you were dreaming and in that dream you were hit by a train, and the hit woke you, can you say the hit made you loose your unconsciousness?"
I'd go slightly more technical and say the 'imagined hit' ...  You know, I've never believed that if you die in your dream then you die in real life, mostly because I have weird dreams where sometimes I'm not myself and I have died in some of those dreams. It's even weirder when you then switch characters mid-dream and continue to dream.

Ristiald wrote:"Every paper towel ad reminds me that the cleanest solution is not to have kids."
But they're so effective exactly because they market too people with kids!  Though my reaction is these people hate the environment, why can't they just use a real towel and then wash it.  Thus said, I do buy paper towels, so I'm no better than them.

Ristiald wrote:"If you make a new hole in the net, then you actully lessened the number of holes in the net"
I... er.... what?  I'm unfamiliar with the background to understand this.
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 22/6/2016, 21:41

Sorry, no fridge logic, I catch most of the problems during watching, and choose to ignore it. Razz

Farseer Amathar wrote:
Ristiald wrote:"Ever though if on any point of your life you faced a murderer that was planning to kill you, but he then decided not to do it?"
I don't just think it, I've talked my way out of it on at least one occasion.
Damn man. That's some hardcore stuff.

Farseer Amathar wrote:
Ristiald wrote:"Brushing your teeth is the only time you ever clean your skeleton"
Unless you count sun-bleaching... but who does?
Then it's not you doing cleaning. It's the sun. Razz

Farseer Amathar wrote:
Ristiald wrote:"Bed is a shelf where you put your body when you don't use it."
If this is true, then what does that make a shelf your cat sleeps on?
His bed. Also, cats tend to treat pretty much everything as a bed. Razz

Farseer Amathar wrote:
Ristiald wrote:If you were dreaming and in that dream you were hit by a train, and the hit woke you, can you say the hit made you loose your unconsciousness?"
I'd go slightly more technical and say the 'imagined hit' ...  You know, I've never believed that if you die in your dream then you die in real life, mostly because I have weird dreams where sometimes I'm not myself and I have died in some of those dreams.  It's even weirder when you then switch characters mid-dream and continue to dream.
Beliefs on dying when you die in the dream came from Freddy Kruger franchise and have nothing to do with reality. As well as this weird thing of Inception that when you're hurt in dream it really hurts. I died in my dreams quite few times. Sometime it woke me, sometime I switched characters. The point of this particular "shower thought" is to make a pun on "loosing consciousness", by switching it to "loosing unconsciousness"...

Farseer Amathar wrote:
Ristiald wrote:"If you make a new hole in the net, then you actully lessened the number of holes in the net"
I... er.... what?  I'm unfamiliar with the background to understand this.
You have a net. You break a strand to make a hole. Broken strand joins two holes of the net it was previously separating. You made one hole out of two.
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 23/6/2016, 03:02

Okay, here's my end result... I feel like I'm not doing something right...


In all honestly, I just mis-read it originally. I was thinking you used 'net' as in 'internet.' So I was wondering how you make a hole in the internet.
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 23/6/2016, 11:29

Farseer Amathar wrote:Okay, here's my end result... I feel like I'm not doing something right...
You sure don't. You just warped reality all to hell. As far as I understand it, it's a circle now. Razz
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 23/6/2016, 18:58

Well... crap. Knew I was doing something wrong...
What makes it even more complicated is, how can you have a circle if you don't have a number of angle-changes totaling up to 360 degrees? Worse yet, what is a circle when areas of high gravity are known to curve and warp space itself?! Against the circular world and warped space-time itself, does geometry ultimately matter?
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 23/6/2016, 20:01

You're asking questions there are no answers to... Please stop, before someone gets his brain hurt. Razz
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 24/6/2016, 20:03

But I had more questions about the nature of time and time travel... That doesn't give anybody else headaches does it? Laughing
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 24/6/2016, 20:14

I don't know, give it a shot. Razz
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 24/6/2016, 21:26

Sadly, I don't actually have a good question to ask at this point, I was just making a joke about how most time-travel conversations end up going in circles until somebody gets a headache. At least that's my experience debating this stuff in person.

I suppose I could ask a question about the implications of Fry (from Futurama) being his own Grandfather and how messed up that would make his genetics (thus why he doesn't emit the Delta Brain-wave - because 'he did the nasty in the pasty').
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 24/6/2016, 22:33

Farseer Amathar wrote:Sadly, I don't actually have a good question to ask at this point, I was just making a joke about how most time-travel conversations end up going in circles until somebody gets a headache.  At least that's my experience debating this stuff in person.
I guessed that much, hence why I asked. Razz
There's no better way to distract the others than to answer rhetoric questions or take puns seriously. Very Happy

Unfortunately I haven't ever watched Futurama, so it's really beyond me.
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 25/6/2016, 08:34

I'm surprised. I wouldn't call it as good as Rick and Morty, but it was good - especially when taken for it's time. Few cartoons had a female heroine-lead. Few cartoons were willing to "humiliate her" (especially by often backwards and religious American-standards) by having her throw a pity shag to a hilarious Captain Kirk parody (What if Captain Kirk actually was William Shatner instead of the often Gary Stu(?) he was written as in the show). Plus the Sci-Fi references actually get pretty deep; doing things like Roswell, New Mexico and parodies of all kinds of sci-fi tropes. Since 40k falls (mostly) into Sci-Fi catagory, I figured Futurama was just something we were all into.
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 25/6/2016, 09:30

Not really, sorry.
Haven't even watch anything Star Trek prior to Deep Space 9 either. I was either to young (or not existant at all) when they made the original movies, and when I grew up enough to ge through them, they were simply too bad for me to swallow. So I never saw them. Razz
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 25/6/2016, 18:10

I love Star Trek, but even The Next Generation was fairly old by the time I was old enough to watch them.  However, my grandfather (who got me into computers and video games) used to love Star Trek, so when I got old enough to try and go back and know my (by then deceased) grandfather by proxy of what he loved, I found the reasons to love Star Trek.  It's slow, thoughtful and full of debate.  In my opinion, you should watch an episode of Star Trek and try and think out the answers to yourself.  Compare and Contrast where they went with their decisions.

As for Star Trek movies... I've debated this a few times with my father.  I feel like a good Star Trek Movie is not a "good movie," in part because of the slower, dramatic and more thoughtful pacing.  I hate the new Star Trek Movies because while they are entertaining, there's nothing really deeper to them.  There are a few messages about filling your father's shoes and stuff... but the internal consistency of the new movies is basically zero (and not that awesome guy in red with a pony tail).  Magic blood that cures death, infinite transports based on a trans-warp transport from the original series (apples and oranges anyone?), Vulcan suddenly has a moon.  A Supernova Star that shatters planets light-years away (only made good in retrospect by the Star Trek MMORPG I played briefly, where they explain how and why Romulas and Remas were destroyed).  After seeing the first of the new Star Trek movies, my response was "JJ Abrams needs to go make Star Wars because he's got the look and feel for Science-Fantasy far more than he does for Science-Fiction."  But my biggest complaint is that there just doesn't seem to be much to the new Star Trek movies worth thinking about.  Even in the worst of the old Star Trek Movies, they had some interesting philosophical ideas.  Even in the movie where Spock has a brother and Kirk fights God (often considered one of the worst Star Trek Movies) there were a few cool ideas.  Spock's brother says he can take away your pain, and does so for McCoy.  Kirk then gives an explanation about your pain - your mistakes and the guilt and regret that they create - make us who we are.  Take that away and we never reach our full potential.

I love Star Trek, but I also realize that there is a major fractious divide between Star Trek and Star Wars (or there was, I think that may have been my Dad's generation of nerds that fought over that), and while I still enjoy Star Wars, Star Trek will always hold a special place in my heart.  I'm a pacifist and I'd still probably kill someone for a chance to personally resurrect and run a Star Trek show.
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 26/6/2016, 11:12

Well unfortunately I have no love for Star Trek, so I can't discuss it really. I take your for for what you wrote here though. Smile
Also unfortunaely, JJ Abrams also screwed up Star Wars, so he seems to be good at neither of those franchises. Hell, I haven't seen any good movie he made. :/
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 26/6/2016, 14:22

avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 26/6/2016, 21:48

I thought the new Star Wars was passable.  A retread of old Star Wars Tropes makes for a nice back-to-basics after the galactic fecal-matter-storm that was the prequels.  Though since Nerds now rule entertainment and we are a varied and nit-picky bunch, I can see how many Star Wars fans may have been underwhelmed by Episode 7.
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 26/6/2016, 22:46

"Underwhelmed" is understatement. Razz
Literally everyone I know IRL and play SW with is simply outraged. Very Happy
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 26/6/2016, 23:56

Hmm. I've not had the same experience. If you don't mind, what do they find so frustrating about it? Any specifics you'd be willing to share? I'm curious about the arguments I am unfamiliar with.
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 27/6/2016, 12:56

The script was horrendously wrong. Abrams decided to cut every previous movie and glue it together in random order. It's a fucking Frankensteins monster of SWverse.
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 27/6/2016, 21:13

If you don't mind, how was it horrendously wrong?

I'll agree with the later half of that statement, but I didn't find that part so egregious. I viewed that as a nice 'retread' which was kind of comforting considering when I first watched the movie, I wasn't sure if I'm getting Original Series or Prequels in my new Disney-controlled Star Wars.

Then again, I'm a Trekkie, so Star Wars just doesn't matter as much to me, so maybe that's why I found the repetitiveness not as annoying as most Star Wars Fans would.
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 27/6/2016, 22:11

As I said. It's not "repetitivenes" that's the problem. It's that he butchered the previous movies to stitch this monstrosity. It's likely even worse than the Trek reboot judging by your reaction. For someone that actually knows SW- this is as bad as they get.
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 27/6/2016, 23:09

Fair enough. And just a quick and dumb question, how do you (and your friends) feel about all of the Extended Universe being thrown out (I still like Dash Rendar - if only because I plummeted to my death and got wampa-ed in the face so many times in that N64 Game).

It sounds like the same reaction to me, though I try to take a 'cool and distanced' stance when harshly judging things that I love. The absolute worse-case example of this has to be the Resident Evil Movies (I stopped at 2 after... no, for my own health, I refuse to go there). I'll admit to a fair amount of rage (though I often distrust showing the emotion) to the Star Trek reboot, so much that I didn't watch Eggs-Benedict Cumber-Kahn (though I'm still excited for him to be Dr. Strange) because the first one had already sold me on 'this Star Trek is not for Trekkies.' The basic premise didn't bother me that much. Some weird time-travel shenanigans (not unusual to Star Trek) sends an angry Romulan back in time. The idea of giving him a Capital-sized ship in a universe that seems to operate mainly on frigate-doctrine warfare irked me a little (different Sci-Fi tends to vary what kind of ship is the most threatening in warfare. For all it's Capital-Doctrine Glory in 40k, I suspect if they slipped into Star Trek, they'd suddenly find the rules of the universe change and they get swarmed by powerful small ships wielding disproportionately destructive weaponry. Even more so in Star Wars where a lone fighter would take out their engines). But it was the execution of the movie that drove me nuts. So often the Science in the new Star Trek film was used an excuse for a cool action scene or fight scene when the science in Star Trek so often is the story. In the new movie this just lead up to weird incongruities that don't fit well into the wider setting (leading to lots of Fridge Logic as I mentioned earlier).

I imagine that the butchered and Frankensteined mess that was Episode 7 evoked similar feelings. Though I wonder if they were hit a little too personally by the 'Darth Fanboy' who (in my opinion) was a hilarious shot taken at all of those Star Wars fans who for some reason sided with the Sith (I had a few of those friends growing up).
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Ristiald on 27/6/2016, 23:35

We just refused to take Legends (as the old Extended Universe is called now) off the table and replace it with Abramscrap. It being Abramscrap is only one reason though, since we simply play SW RPGs, so we need EU to have expansive world to play in.

But since you have shared your feelings about ST reboot, I can now safely say that it's very similar to what happened with SW. It's horrendous. He butchered the verse, and rape the corpse. Repeatedly.
Now that I think about it, I haven't really seen a movie he haven't butchered... Why anyone still lets him direct anything?
avatar
Ristiald
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 401
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Farseer Amathar on 28/6/2016, 00:07

For the same reason Micheal Bay continues to get work.  JJ Abrams makes entertaining movies that don't really hold up that well (or have any real depth - and that's judging by this thread so far as I'm not a film critic).  Entertaining popcorn-munchers (as I stated earlier many things in the Star Trek reboot irked me as I watched the movies but didn't really bother me until later), even I'll admit that the original Star Trek reboot film was entertaining to sit through that first time but has degraded with every subsequent viewing I've given the film as the mishandling of the property just sticks out more upon each inspection.  I'll even admit, not being a big Star Wars fan, I found Episode 7 passable.  I don't think that's very high praise as it amounts to a mostly-neutral personal-opinion.

That leads me to an aside question - would we be so harsh on his work if he were just writing another book or fan-fiction on the web?  Does the spotlight on his work make it all the more horrendous to the hard-core fans?  If so, what level of our reaction is... well.. reactionary and rebellious?  For my part I'd like to think that I do.  I rail on bad fan-fiction (though not as harshly as I am speaking to the actual author) and 40k novels as much as I complain on bad films.
avatar
Farseer Amathar
Skitarii
Skitarii

Posts : 204
Join date : 2016-06-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Random stuff

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Lore Lair :: Fan section :: RPG :: Bar

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum